Slather Your Grilled Cheese With Homemade Apple Butter
Though apples are not local to Trinidad and Tobago, they are widely available and very familiar at home. Both dishes celebrate apples with both sweet and savoury recipes. We’ll wow you with foods that go just a little beyond apple pie. If you make any of our recipes, send us photos on Facebook or Instagram @propaeats!
APPLE GRILLED CHEESE with homemade apple butter
Recipe Type: Breakfast, Lunch
Yields: 2 Servings
Total Time: 25 mins
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced
- 8 slices sharp cheddar Butter
- For apple butter
- 3 apples, diced
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup apple cider
- 4 tablespoons honey
- In a medium pot, add all ingredients and let simmer until apples soften.
- Then, either in a blender or with an immersion blender, blend ingredients until it forms a smooth, thick paste. Let cool and set aside.
- Butter each slice of bread (each side). Then, layer with apple butter, cheese, apples and more cheese. Top with a slice of bread.
- In a medium skillet on medium heat, add butter and let melt until frothy.
- Place sandwich in the skillet and let sear for two to three minutes or until golden-brown. Flip sandwich onto the other side and sear until cheese melts and bread is toasted. Repeat with other slices of bread.
- Serve warm with soup, salad or on its own.