Make The Creamiest Sawine For Your Family
Each week we highlight local dishes that are commonly seen on tables across Trinidad and Tobago. From pelau to curry and everything in between, two of our nation’s favourite dishes will be featured. If you have a special family dish, send in your recipe for a chance to be featured in this section! This week, we’re featuring popular dishes served on Eid-Ul-Fitr.
Author: Stephanie Pulwarty
Recipe Type: Desserts
Yields: 8 Servings
Total Time: 45 mins
- 5 cups full-cream milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 4 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 7 ounces vermicelli
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cardamom pods
- 3 whole cloves
- ⅛ cups sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup halved maraschino cherries, optional
- ¼ cup raisins
- In a large, dry pan over medium-high heat, add vermicelli and parch until it turns brown; set aside.
- In a separate large pot, add 3 cups of full-cream milk, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Then, add vermicelli and let cook until it is 3 minutes away from being fully-cooked.
- The sawine should become thick as the vermicelli cooks. Add the rest of full-cream milk, condensed milk and raisins. Mix and let cook for 3 minutes then remove aromatics.
- Garnish sawine with toasted almonds, more raisins and maraschino cherries.