Cooking with Hema: Rishi’s Coconut Bake Biscuits
Rishi’s Coconut Bake Biscuits
Chef Rishi Ramoutar, the man behind the mom-and-pop C & J Roti Shop in Arima, is a culinary genius. Here, coconut bake meets cheese biscuits. It’s easy to make and delicious to eat. It is especially good plain or loaded with freshly baked ham and Ramoutar’s homemade chow chow. Sorry hops bread, you have some serious competition.
YIELDS: 12 Servings
COOK TIME: 1 hr 10 mins
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated market cheese
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons melted lard
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 egg
- In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (from all-purpose flour to coconut) and mix.
- Add the melted butter and lard to the bowl. Slowly add the coconut milk and mix together until all ingredients are combined.
- Rest the ball of dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place the dough on a floured surface. Lightly flour the top of the dough and press down to shape it into a rectangle about 1 1/2-inches thick.
- Use a cookie cutter or the top of a wide-rimmed glass to cut circles that are 2- to 3-inches in diameter.
- Transfer the mounds of dough to a greased pan and rest for 5 minutes at room temperature.
- Break an egg into a small bowl and whisk. Use a pastry brush to paint a light coat of egg over your dough.
- Bake for 9 minutes at 350°F. (A gas oven may require longer cooking time, about 15 minutes).
- Broil until it reaches your desired colour.
- Serve immediately or save for leftover sandwiches later.