Win At Eating Healthy With This Vegan Risotto
We are guaranteed that one of your New Year’s resolutions is to eat healthier. Often, people think that healthy eating = no flavour. This week we’ll prove that you can easily eat healthily without skimping on indulgence and deliciousness. You’ll feel full, energised and completely satisfied with our quick and simple recipes. Use our featured dishes to get in front of the pre-Carnival prep!
VEGAN VEGETABLE RISOTTO
Ever had healthy risotto? Well, the time is now! Try one of my favorite dishes; vegan veggie risotto. It includes lots of fresh vegetables for fibre and nutrients. It’s the perfect, quick and delicious meal for the Carnival season.
Yields: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 3 ½ to 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 small bundle asparagus or broccoli, trimmed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ¾ cup thinly sliced shallot or white onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegan Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a medium saucepan, warm broth over low heat.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté each vegetable separately; cook until just tender.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil then, add shallots. Cook for 1 minute, or until translucent then, add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add rice while stirring to coat with oil, shallots, and garlic. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden colour, pour in the wine while stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed.
- Add ½ cup broth to rice and stir until broth has absorbed. Continue adding broth ½ cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid has absorbed, and the rice has cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes .
- Once rice has cooked through, remove from heat; season with salt and pepper. Add cheese and most of cooked vegetables, reserving a few for serving then, mix.
- To serve, divide risotto between serving bowls and top with remaining vegetables, additional vegan parmesan cheese, olive oil, and a sprinkle of parsley.