Trinidad-Style BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe
When reminiscing about street foods, wings have got to one of the top foods that come to mind. Smothered in a Caribbean-inspired barbecue sauce, they make the perfect snack alongside some cold drinks. Baking these wings will ensure they get cooked evenly in the oven and gain a lovely crispy texture on the outside. Get these wings deliciously sticky by tossing them to broil them in the oven to carmelize the BBQ sauce.
2 lb. chicken wings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon white pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
1/2 cup barbeque sauce ( see wings recipe for BBQ sauce recipe)
1/3 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon hot pepper
4 cloves garlic
3 blades of chadon beni
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Break down your chicken wings into three parts; the drumette, flat and tip. Using a sharp knife, slice the joint between the drumette and flat, keeping the chicken skin intact. Similarly with the joint between the flat and the tip. For this recipe, the drumettes and flats pieces will be used for these wings but don’t throw out the tips! You can freeze them and use them later on for homemade chicken stock.
- In a large bowl, season your wings with oil, salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Leave in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to marinate flavours.
- On a large baking tray, lay out all your wings and place the wings in a preheated oven (400°) and bake for 1/2 hour. Remove wings from oven and flip each wing and place wings back in the oven for another 1/2 hour or until chicken skin is crispy and golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine the baked wings and barbeque sauce. Toss until completely coated.
- Set the oven to broil on high.
- Evenly lay the coated wings on the previously used baking tray and place in the oven and leave to broil for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with fries and garlic sauce.