Rich Creamy Sawine Recipe
Serving sawine at the end of Ramadan is a popular tradition for the Muslim community across T&T. Try out our simple recipe for creamy rich sawine!
Recipe Type: Desserts
Yields: 8 Servings
Total Time: 45 mins
- 5 cups full-cream milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 4 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 7 ounces vermicelli
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cardamom pods
- 3 whole cloves
- ⅛ cups sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup halved maraschino cherries, optional
- ¼ cup raisins
- In a large, dry pan over medium-high heat, add vermicelli and parch until it turns brown; set aside.
- In a separate large pot, add 3 cups of full-cream milk, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Then, add vermicelli and let cook until it is 3 minutes away from being fully-cooked.
- The sawine should become thick as the vermicelli cooks. Add the rest of full-cream milk, condensed milk and raisins. Mix and let cook for 3 minutes then remove aromatics.
- Garnish sawine with toasted almonds, more raisins and maraschino cherries.