Make An Amazing Cake Roll With Ginger-Infused White Chocolate Ganache
More than half of the food the average Trinbagonian eats is imported. This should come as no surprise since our twin isle’s annual food import bill is approximately $6 billion. By purchasing local, you funnel money back into our community and support its growth and sustainability for future generations. Our weekly column “In Season” features a sweet and savoury recipe for one readily-available ingredient, so you can take advantage of the vibrant bounty from farmers’ markets, local farm stands, and your own yard.
Not a stranger to Trinidad and Tobago, ginger is commonly used in teas, Chinese cuisine and Indian sweets. The spicy, woody flavour of the aromatic root has a distinct presence in any dish it is added to. Its zesty pungency comes from gingerol, which is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compound. So, don’t feel too bad about indulging in a spicy Moroccan dish and sweet, chocolate dessert.
GINGER WHITE CHOCOLATE FILLED CAKE ROLL
Ginger and chocolate are an unlikely couple however, it’s a marriage made in heaven. The zesty ginger beautifully complements the sweet white chocolate ganache. The ginger gives bursts of pepper to the sauce, which then gets soaked into the sponge cake.
Yields: 8 Servings
Total Time: 45 mins
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups flour, sifted
- Icing sugar for dusting
- For the filling
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups white chocolate
- 4-inches ginger, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a cookie sheet with cooking spray and parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix eggs until pale, about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and mix again until well-incorporated.
- Add oil, baking powder, salt, and vanilla to the eggs and sugar; mix until combined.
- Lastly, fold in the flour until evenly combined.
- Spread the cake mixture evenly into prepared tray. Tap the tray on the counter to release any air bubbles from your batter. Bake for 15 minutes; remove from oven and allow to cool.
- For the ganache, mix white chocolate, ginger and milk into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Microwave again for 30 seconds, stir and start removing lumps. Continue microwaving for 30 second intervals, stirring until all the lumps are gone. Allow the ganache to cool in the fridge for 20 minutes. Mix with electric mixer until airy.
- Dust a large sheet of parchment paper with icing sugar generously. Pull the cooled cake out using the parchment underneath and place top-side down onto the dusted sheet. Remove the attached baking parchment. Spread the ganache over the entire cake.
- Using the dusted parchment as an aid, roll the cake. Allow to chill for 30 minutes and then slice. Enjoy!