Infuse Your Pound Cake With Sweet Mangoes
‘Mango season’ is one of the best times of the year. Julie, starch, long or any of the other dozens of varieties are prized possessions of most Trinibagonians. Though we mostly enjoy it by ripping off the skin with our teeth and chomping down to the pit, mango is an important ingredient for many delicious desserts and savoury dishes. Unicakery has provided two recipes that deliciously celebrate mangoes. They’ll have you enjoying cake and mangoes—what could be better?
MANGO-INFUSED POUND CAKE
Who doesn’t love a light and airy sponge cake? Pound Cakes are definitely a favourite, loved for generations in our country, enjoyed warm and fresh out of the oven or cooled and coated with frosting. Here is an easy recipe that anyone can try and enjoy at home with a delicious, fresh, fruity twist.
Yields: 12 Servings
Total Time: 1 hr 45 mins
- 1 ½ cups salted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cubed mangoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon mango extract
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spray pan well with baking spray, or grease with softened butter and dust with flour, making sure to coat well to prevent any sticking.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy and sugar is dissolved into the butter.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, salt, vanilla and mango extract and beat until well blended. Be careful not to overmix.
- Lightly dust cubed mangoes with flour and gently fold into the cake batter. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, the cake springs back when lightly pressed, and a wooden toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean (about 1 ½ hours). Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack, and then turn the cake out onto the rack to cool.
- Serve warm or decorate with cream cheese meringue buttercream.