Grill Hot Cross Buns and Cheese for an Amazing Sandwich
Sweet hot cross buns perfectly complement creamy, melted cheddar cheese and salty ham. It’s slathered in butter and pressed into a perfect and comforting grilled cheese sandwich.
We used smoked ham and Cheddar but chose any combination you’d like. We bet bacon, egg and sliced American cheese would make an amazing breakfast sandwich.
HOT CROSS BUN GRILLED CHEESE
Yields: 8 Servings
Total Time: 50 mins
- 8 hot cross buns
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 slices smoked ham
- 8 eggs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Halve each hot cross bun and butter each side. Add to pan and let toast.
- Flip each hot cross bun and add cheese on the bottom half. Let melt and add smoked ham. Then, remove buns from heat.
- Wipe pan clean and add 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Crack the egg and gently cook sunny side up for about two minutes or until egg has set. Add extra butter and baste egg in order to help the egg set.
- Add egg on top of ham and serve sandwich immediately.