How to make Creamy Cranberry Pistachio Barfi
During Divali, everyone is busy shopping for new clothes, decorating their homes, buying fire crackers and making sweets. Burfi—also spelled barfi and barfee—is eaten year-round but it’s especially important on special events. No puja, wedding or Eid and Festival of Lights celebration is complete without this Indian dessert.
Barfi, similar to fudge, is a dense milk-based dessert that’s regularly cut into squares or diamonds. It’s sweet, soft and rich and takes no time at all. They’re most often sold white with colorful sprinkles, but you can also find them in crazy flavors like Oreo, coconut, mango, and chocolate. Our pista barfi, featured below, is decorated with pistachios and cranberries. Place a plate on the table and watch them disappear quickly.
CRANBERRY PISTACHIO BARFI
PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOK TIME: 2 hrs
TOTAL TIME: 2 hrs 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon Nariel coconut oil
- 2 cups milk powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ghee, or clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon almond essence
- ¼ cup pistachios, shelled
- ¼ cup cranberries
- Grease a 8×8 baking pan with Nariel coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix milk powder, milk, sugar, vanilla essence and almond essence together until smooth. If there are a few lumps, that’s fine.
- In a large pot over low heat, add ghee or clarified butter. When it melts down, add the milk mixture and whisk together until a smooth paste forms, about two minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and stir continuously stir until the mixture thickens. To test if it’s ready or not, take a bit of the mixture and rolls it between your fingers. If it rolls well without sticking, you’re good to go.
- Switch off the heat immediately and pour the milk mixture into your already-greased pan.
- Grease a spatula and then smoothen out the barfi. Once evenly spread, sprinkle pistachios and cranberries and press down gently.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours until firm.
- Lift barfi out of the pan and slice into 16 squares.
- Plate and serve.